How can I get to work if my license is suspended?

I was charged with a DUI charge in Tampa a couple of weeks ago and my license was suspended for six months. I have to drive at least 25 miles to get to work and can't possibly get a ride for that long of a period of time. Is there anything that i can do?

Answers (2) disclaimer

217 North Howard Avenue
Tampa FL 33606
Tampa DUI Attorney
(813) 321-7323

Thomas & Paulk, P.A.

Tampa DUI Attorney
Under Florida’s harsh DUI laws, even a first-time DUI is enough to suspend a driver’s license for a minimum of 180 days up to one year. You can apply to the department for a hardship license after you have completed DUI school, but there is no guarantee that you will be granted this special license. If this is your first DUI conviction and you are granted a hardship reinstatement of your driver’s license, you will be required to have a mandatory ignition interlock device for up to six months if you were arrested with a BAC of 0.15. If this was your second or third conviction, no hardship license will be granted within the first year and may not be granted for up to two years. A DUI attorney can help prepare your case for the hearing so that you have the best chance at securing a hardship license for your drive to work.
39111 Paseo Padre Parkway
Fremont FL 94538
Fremont DUI Attorney
(510) 764-1544

The Law Offices of Adam Allen Arant

Fremont DUI Attorney
If you have had your license suspended in connection with a DUI case, then you may be able to get a provision license which will allow you to drive to and from work. If you use this license to detour from your work commute, you can be prosecuted for driving on a suspended license. Yet if you stay on the roads that you have specifically designated within the provisions of the document you may be permitted to drive. If you are caught with alcohol or arrested for another DUI while on a suspended license, it can cause your sentences to grow, so you will want to be extremely careful. According to the DMV, the penalties for driving on a restricted license vary widely depending on the reason for suspension. The DMV should inform you about you penalties, after you are pulled over. Typically, if you are caught driving on a suspended license you may be arrested and your car may be impounded as part of your punishment. You will then need to attend a court hearing and will be sentenced accordingly. To obtain a provisional license, you will need to have your criminal defense attorney contact the DMV and request an application. You may need to attend a DUI hearing and explain your innocence or show why you need a license. In most cases, the DMV will be gracious and permit you to have a provisional license, as long as you haven’t committed a felony DUI. That way, you will still be able to make it to and from work while serving out your sentence. If this is not feasible, then you will need to carpool into work or use public transportation until you have finished serving out your sentence for your DUI. Talk to a DUI attorney today for more information!

Related Questions

What are my chances of getting a DUI dismissed ?

I was getting off from the fwy when the chp stopped me.
answered by Floyd, Skeren & Kelly, LLP - Los Angeles - California View all 3 answers »

Should i answer any questions that a police officer asks after he pulls me over for suspected drinking?

When a police officer pulls me over because he thinks I have been drinking, do I have to answer his questions?
answered by Briggle & Polan, PLLC - Texas View answers »

Can i appeal my DUI?

I got a DUI a month ago and recently got convicted in court even though I believe that I was not driving while intoxicated. Is there anyway that i can ...
answered by Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. - Georgia View answers »